2 lbs. baby red or yellow potatoes, 1 1/2 to 2″ diameter
2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Garlic salt, to taste
Black pepper, freshly cracked, to taste
3/4 cup parmesan cheese (optional)
2 tbsp. parsley, finely chopped, to garnish
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add salt. Add potatoes, reduce heat to a low boil and cook until potatoes are tender and can be pierced with a fork (25–30 minutes).
- Drain potatoes in a colander and allow to cool (5–10 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Pat potatoes dry with paper towels and space them evenly on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper.
- Using a potato masher, fork or flat bottom of a drinking glass, smash the potatoes gently to avoid breaking them apart. Thinner potatoes will end up crispier; thicker will be fluffier.
- Drizzle potatoes with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic salt and cracked black pepper, and bake 15 minutes. Flip and season the opposite sides; return to the oven and bake about 15 minutes or until potatoes have crispy, golden brown edges.
- Optional: Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and return to the oven until cheese is melted (2–3 minutes).
- Garnish with parsley and serve warm.
Vegan option: Simply eliminate parmesan cheese.