20 threads of saffron
2 cups dry white wine
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, medium sized, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups short grain rice (Valencian or Bomba)
3 cups chicken stock
1 red pepper, medium sized, diced
4 chicken thighs, 1 inch diced (dry rub with paprika and garlic powder 20 minutes before cooking)
1 lb. andouille sausage, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails on (size 16/20)
1 lemon, cut into wedges
1 bunch parsley, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
Recipe credit: Chef John Ash
- Toast saffron threads in a sauté pan for 2–3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add to the white wine. This infuses the wine with the saffron, creating a more intense flavor. Set aside for later use.
- Over a medium to high heat, add oil to the paella pan. Then add onion and cook until translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add all of the rice and stir frequently. This technique is known as ‘parching’. By heating the rice for 3–5 minutes prior to adding any liquid, the rice will essentially become “thirstier,” and soak up more broth.
- Once the rice is hot, add half of the stock and half of the saffron infused wine.
- Stir occasionally and bring to a boil. As the liquid is soaked up, add more stock and wine.
- While slowly adding stock to keep the rice ‘wet’, add in the bell pepper.
- Before the rice is fully cooked, add in the sausage and chicken. Stir occasionally and be sure to bring back to a boil to ensure the meats cook all the way through, about 7 minutes.
- Lastly, add the shrimp and cover with the rice. The shrimp will only take 2–3 minutes to cook thoroughly. As soon as it is done, remove the pan from the heat.
- Garnish with parsley and lemon wedges.